Microsoft Corporation Software Engineer 2 in Prague, Czech Republic
Skype is software that enables the world’s conversations. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to connect with friends, family, and colleagues to make free video and voice calls, to call landlines and mobiles, send instant messages, and share files. Through the creative and disruptive, yet legendary engineering that created VoIP, Skype has grown ubiquitous across almost all major desktop, web and mobile platforms.
In recent years Skype has completely reinvented itself-replacing our P2P infrastructure with modern cloud microservices, integrating Skype with other Microsoft services (such as O365) for a fluid user experience, evolving into both consumer and business products, and supporting our users whether they run on desktop, mobile, or web apps.
But we are not resting on our laurels, so we are looking for the strongest engineering leaders to join us on our journey! Currently we are expanding our team in Prague and we are recruiting few more Software Development Engineers at junior, experienced and Senior levels – so a relocation here may need to be considered.
What we do:
The Skype People Infrastructure team located in Prague is a key part of our global team.
We provide services that manage our users & apps; identities across our products, help our users stay connected by finding and storing contacts, route billions of events per day to our clients, and manage key transport connections between our clients and services. We build services in Azure using globally replicated databases and a variety of computer platforms. We care about milliseconds of latency and take high availability seriously.
Do you want to have almost a billion of users at your fingertips? The day to day job in the team is to improve the experience and create new services for our users who form the heart of Skype. We are improving our existing services and continuing to build new services to meet the needs of our consumer and business users. Our environment is like a startup, with the muscles of a corporation.
What to expect:
• A team responsible for highly scalable distributed cloud services in a dev-ops environment
• As part of a unified engineering team, implement both the features and appropriate tests during development
• Collaborate inside and outside the team
• Mentor and develop others by sharing and learning
• Participate in code reviews, providing and receiving constructive feedback to improve overall code quality
• Proactively manage risks and security, and suggest improvements to existing risk-management processes
• Experience in designing and implementing highly scalable distributed micro services handling thousands of requests per second
• Solid C#, Java, or C++ experience (2+ years at least)
• Be prepared to demonstrate knowledge of best practices of at least one language ecosystem
• Ability to independently resolve technical issues and help the project to move forward
• Experience with multithreading and asynchronous processing
• Good knowledge of low level networking and communication protocol concepts
• Knowledge and experience with object oriented design
• Experience with Test-driven development (TDD) and pair programming
• You should be ready to take ownership of an application and accept periodically an on-call duty and solve a live site incident if necessary
• Experience with databases, low-level networking protocol implementation, and cloud services a plus
• You should be willing to challenge status quo, build strong professional networks and use them to achieve team goals
• You should be able to give and receive honest feedback
• The statements above describe an ideal candidate; if you don’t have all the experience, expect to learn a lot!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.